Leverage Videojet Continuous Inkjet or Laser Technology for printing on glass
Glass bottles and containers remain a popular packaging option for a number of reasons including product differentiation and identification of a premium product. In addition, its reuse (returnable bottles) and recyclability make it an environmentally good choice. Glass bottles are popular for a variety of food and beverage products including those that require a strong protection barrier.
Videojet offers a broad range of Continuous Inkjet (CIJ) and laser solutions for marking and printing on glass bottles. Pigmented inks are available for high contrast codes on dark colored glass bottles or clear bottles containing dark liquids. A unique ink formulation provides a high quality inkjet code that can also be easily removed for returnable bottle applications. Videojet laser systems deliver high resolution, permanent marks on nearly any type of glass container.
- Suggested Solutions
Printing on glass with Continuous Inkjet (CIJ) Printers
Over 340 ink, available for use in Videojet CIJ printers, are designed for both common and unique applications. From inks that penetrate thin layers of condensation and withstand the pasteurization process, to those that offer outstanding adhesion glass, Videojet can help you select the right ink and printer to achieve the ideal contrast, readability and durability of your printed codes while meeting your production needs.
Printing on glass is achievable with CIJ printers like the
Date codes, serial numbers, barcodes, traceability information and more can be printed on glass with high-performance Videojet inks designed for Videojet CIJ printers. Click here to learn how CIJ technology works.
Why choose CIJ technology?
- Opaque pigmented CIJ inks are formulated to create highly visible codes on dark colored glass and clear bottles containing dark liquids, while resisting the pressure and heat of packaging environments and product-to-product contact during processing. Choose from a range of Videojet pigmented ink colors for use with the Videojet 1710 CIJ printer, ideal for printing on glass
- Videojet condensation-resistant CIJ inks, such as Videojet V420 and V528 inks, are ideal for printing on glass. These inks can penetrate the condensation layer to adhere to beverage bottles and are durable during pasteurization and refrigeration/ re-cooling
- Videojet caustic-removable CIJ inks, like Videojet V4220 and V483 are soluble to common 2-3% caustic solutions so bottles can be returned to manufacturers for reuse without a previous code being present. Certain inks can perform as a single-solution for bottlers producing a mix of returnable and non-returnable beverages. Download the whitepaper.
- Fast dry CIJ inks, including Videojet V4201, V4204, V4216, V4258, V4269, are also suitable for printing on glass. These inks incorporate special fast-dry solvents and compatible resin technology necessary when there is little time between each code and when those codes come into contact with typical conveyor components and each other.
- Codes produced with CIJ retort inks, like Videojet V476 and V521, provide a noticeable color change from one color to another when exposed to heat and moisture during the retort process. This allows processors to determine whether or not a particular item has been properly exposed to the retort process.
Laser Marking solutions for permanent printing on glass
Another solution for printing on glass, laser marking produces permanent high-resolution codes on nearly any color or type of glass. The permanent marks protect codes from being tampered with by unauthorized channels. Moreover, the high quality marks enable clear coding and help instill brand confidence with customers.
Laser marking systems like the Videojet 3640 CO2 laser and Videojet 7810 UV laser produce micro cracks that etch into the glass surface to produce serial numbers, internal tracking numbers, and traceability information on clear and colored glass.
When printing on glass bottles, it is often best print above the fill line as this area of the container will have a lower level of condensation than those in direct contact with the liquid. Talk to Videojet about your application. (833) 270-0843
Speak to a Glass Printing Expert
New Equipment Sales:
“With our new Videojet coder, we’ve had no maintenance problems, so it has been a great help to our operations.”
-Production Manager, Sprecher Brewing Company